NASA Signs Agreement With Space Florida To Reuse Kennedy Facilities

Oct. 31, 2011

David Weaver/Michael Curie
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1600
david.s.weaver@nasa.gov/michael.curie@nasa.gov

Amber Philman
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
amber.n.philman@nasa.gov

Tina Lange, APR
Space Florida Communications, Cape Canaveral
321-223-1013
tlange@cfl.rr.com

Paula Korn
Boeing Space Exploration Communications, Houston
281-226-4114, 281-658-0337
paula.korn@boeing.com

RELEASE: 11-349

NASA SIGNS AGREEMENT WITH SPACE FLORIDA TO REUSE KENNEDY FACILITIES

Boeing to Build Commercial Spacecraft at Kennedy, Create 550 Jobs

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- In an innovative agreement that will create
new jobs, NASA today announced a partnership with Space Florida to
exclusively occupy, use and modify Kennedy Space Center's Orbiter
Processing Facility-3, the Space Shuttle Main Engine Processing
Facility and Processing Control Center.

"The next era of space exploration won't wait, and so we can't wait
for Congress to do its job and give our space program the funding it
needs. That's why my Administration will be pressing forward, in
partnership with Space Florida and the private sector, to create jobs
and make sure America continues to lead the world in exploration and
discovery," President Barack Obama said.

Space Florida, the aerospace economic development agency of the state
of Florida, is leasing the Orbiter Processing Facility-3 to the
Boeing Company to manufacture and test the company's Crew Space
Transportation (CST-100) spacecraft, creating up to 550 jobs along
the Space Coast. The 15-year use permit deal is the latest step
Kennedy is making as the center transitions from a historically
government-only launch complex to a multi-user spaceport.

"Neither NASA nor the Space Coast can afford to stand still. We must
be aggressive in pursuing this next generation of space exploration
-- and the jobs and innovation that will accompany it," NASA
Administrator Charles Bolden said.

"Kennedy continues working to bring new commercial space activities to
the center," said Kennedy Center Director Bob Cabana. "Partnering
with Space Florida to enable commercial space operations at Kennedy
will help NASA maintain facilities and assets while supporting our
nation's space objectives and expanding opportunities for the U.S.
economy."

In addition to the agreement Boeing is signing with Space Florida to
reuse existing KSC facilities, the aerospace company announced it is
locating it Commercial Crew Program headquarters at the center.

"We are extremely pleased that Boeing will locate its commercial crew
headquarters here in Florida," said Frank DiBello, president of Space
Florida. "This positions our state well for future growth and a
leadership role in NASA's next-generation human space exploration
initiatives. It is also a key factor in ensuring Florida's
space-related economy continues to thrive."

The goal of NASA's Commercial Crew Program is to facilitate the
development of a U.S. commercial crew space transportation capability
by achieving safe, reliable and cost-effective access to and from the
International Space Station and future low Earth orbit destinations.

"We selected Florida for the commercial crew headquarters because of
its close proximity to not only our NASA customer at Kennedy Space
Center, but also because of outstanding facilities and an experienced
space workforce," said John Elbon, vice president and program manager
of Boeing's Commercial Crew Programs.

Boeing is developing the CST-100, a reusable capsule-shaped spacecraft
that will consist of a crew module and service module for
transporting up to seven people, or a combination of people and cargo
to space.

For information about Space Florida, visit:

http://www.spaceflorida.gov

For information about NASA's Kennedy Space Center, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/kennedy

For more information about NASA's commercial transportation programs,
visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/commercial/index.html

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov