NASA & Space Florida Break Ground on Next-Gen Sci-Tech Park

June 25, 2010

Allard Beutel
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
allard.beutel@nasa.gov

Tina Lange
Space Florida
321-730-5301 x225
tlange@spaceflorida.gov

RELEASE: 37-10

NASA & SPACE FLORIDA BREAK GROUND ON NEXT-GEN SCI-TECH PARK

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Work on a next-generation science and
technology commerce park is under way at NASA's Kennedy Space Center,
Fla. NASA, Space Florida, and local, state and Congressional leaders
held a groundbreaking ceremony Friday for Exploration Park at
Kennedy's Space Life Sciences Laboratory (SLSL), adjacent to where
the park will be built.

The SLSL will be the anchor facility for Exploration Park, which is
expected to open its first new facility in early 2012. The park will
host diverse aerospace-related research and development activities
for interested commercial, civil and military tenants, and bring new
work to Central Florida.

"Exploration Park will provide opportunities for enhancing commercial
space capabilities to support NASA's mission, as well as the benefit
of space commerce to the economy of this entire nation," said Kennedy
Space Center Director Bob Cabana. "I believe Exploration Park will
play a very key role in helping Kennedy take advantage of new
opportunities emerging from the transition we have begun and it will
help facilitate the center's future, where we are the world's
premiere spaceport, supporting a diversity of space transportation
services and home to world-leading research and technology in space
and space-related fields."

"Today's groundbreaking is a tremendous milestone in the
transformation of Florida's $8 billion-a-year space industry and will
enable the Sunshine State to tap into a greater share of the
$250-billion global space marketplace," said Florida Gov. Charlie
Crist.

"Exploration Park is building on Kennedy Space Center's rich history
of innovation," said Florida Lt. Gov. Jeff Kottkamp. "The types of
cutting-edge businesses that will operate from Exploration Park will
play a significant role in growing Florida's innovation economy. On
behalf of the State of Florida, we look forward to watching
Exploration Park grow to become a leading research and technology
campus for our state."

Phase 1 of Exploration Park currently is expected to include eight new
buildings totaling 315,000 sq. ft. NASA signed a 60-year land-use
lease with Space Florida to develop 60 acres on Kennedy property for
the park, which also will incorporate the SLSL and facilitate other
new laboratory and high bay capabilities. To date, six Letters of
Intent have been signed by potential tenants of Phase 1 facilities.
These companies cannot be identified at this time as they currently
are protected under Non-Disclosure Agreements with Space Florida.
Tenant announcements are anticipated in the near future.

In November 2009, NASA and Florida Power & Light, Florida's largest
utility, announced plans for a new research and development facility
to support continual improvement of solar renewable energy that would
be established by SunPower and FPL's other partners at Exploration
Park. The dedicated R&D facility could result in at least 50
high-salary science and engineering positions permanently established
at Kennedy by SunPower and FPL's other partners, a potential for
solar panel manufacturing located nearby and new construction jobs.

"We are thankful to our State legislators for leading the charge on
attracting increased commercial opportunities to our state's space
industry," noted Space Florida President Frank DiBello. "More than
1,700 jobs are possible within Phase 1 of this park, and we look
forward to working with a wide variety of innovative companies to
establish and grow their operations here."

For information about Space Florida and Exploration Park, visit:

http://www.spaceflorida.gov

For more information about NASA's Kennedy Space Center, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/kennedy

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov