Solar Power Plant at Kennedy Supplying Electricity to Floridians

April 8, 2010

Allard Beutel
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
allard.beutel@nasa.gov

Jackie Anderson
Florida Power & Light
305-552-3888
jackie.anderson@fpl.com

RELEASE: 20-10

SOLAR POWER PLANT AT KENNEDY SUPPLYING ELECTRICITY TO FLORIDIANS

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - A newly constructed solar power facility at
NASA's Kennedy Space Center, Fla., officially is providing
electricity to Florida homes. NASA, Florida Power & Light, or FPL,
and political leaders commissioned FPL's Space Coast Next Generation
Solar Energy Center on Thursday.

The 10-megawatt solar plant was built by FPL, Florida's largest
utility. It will feed FPL's electric grid, generating energy for more
than 1,000 homes and reducing annual carbon dioxide emissions by more
than 227,000 tons.

FPL built a separate 1-megawatt solar power facility at Kennedy as
part of this unique public-private partnership between NASA and FPL.
That facility has been supplying the space center with electricity
since late 2009.

"NASA is a pioneer in the use of solar power for space exploration, so
it's fitting that we're working with FPL to expand the use and R&D of
that renewable energy source at Kennedy where many of those missions
were launched," said Bob Cabana, director of the Kennedy Space
Center. "This type of commercial partnership with NASA helps provide
Florida residents, and America's space program, with new sources of
green power that reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and improve the
environment."

"Florida is poised to be a leader in America's growing clean-energy
economy, which naturally includes solar power," said Rep. Suzanne
Kosmas of Florida. "Bringing new clean-energy jobs to our communities
is one of my top priorities. This joint effort between NASA and FPL
is an example of how we can create jobs while investing in
common-sense solutions to the economic, environmental and national
security challenges we face today."

The 10-megawatt facility features approximately 35,000 highly
efficient solar photovoltaic panels from SunPower Corporation on 60
acres at Kennedy. The panels are 50 percent more efficient than
conventional solar panels.

"Like NASA, FPL is looking beyond the horizon. FPL's Space Coast Next
Generation Solar Energy Center is an important part of our state's
clean-energy future, but large-scale solar projects like this one
also have a very positive impact on the economy today," said FPL
President and CEO Armando J. Olivera. "Projects like this and our
Next Generation Solar Energy Centers in Martin and DeSoto give
Florida the opportunity to create and attract clean-energy jobs and
produce millions of dollars in new revenue for local governments
while reducing greenhouse gas emissions and fighting the effects of
climate change at the same time."

Plans also are being discussed to expand the 10-megawatt facility's
generating capacity to 100-megawatts at another Kennedy location.
This expansion of the solar facilities is contingent on regulatory
support and the passage of renewable energy legislation at the state
level. If proven environmentally and economically feasible, an
expansive field of photovoltaic solar panels will be constructed in
phases on 500 or more acres of fallow Kennedy agricultural land and
integrated into the utility's grid. A dedicated research and
development facility to support continual improvement of solar
renewable energy also would be established by SunPower and FPL's
other partners at Kennedy's upcoming business complex, Exploration
Park.

The proposed projects are being pursued under a five-year Memorandum
of Understanding entered into by Kennedy and FPL in 2007 to promote
jointly developed projects in renewable technologies.

For information about Florida Power & Light and its programs, visit:

http://www.fpl.com

For information about SunPower, visit:

http://www.sunpowercorp.com

For more information about NASA's Kennedy Space Center, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/kennedy

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov