321-867-2468
amber.n.philman@nasa.gov

Ashley Edwards
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1756
ashley.edwards-1@nasa.gov

MEDIA ADVISORY: M09-200

NASA RESCHEDULES ROLLOUT OF ARES I-X

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- NASA has rescheduled to Tuesday, Oct. 20, the
rollout of the Ares I-X rocket to Launch Pad 39B at the Kennedy Space
Center in Florida.

The first motion of the Ares I-X out of Kennedy's Vehicle Assembly
Building is targeted for 12:01 a.m. EDT. The 4.2-mile journey is
expected to last about seven hours. Media activities include a first
motion photo opportunity and interviews with Ares I-X managers. In
addition, a sunrise photo opportunity will be available at 7 a.m.

Live NASA Television coverage with commentary will start at 11:45
p.m., Oct. 19, and 7 a.m., Oct. 20. Video highlights of the move will
air on NASA Television's Video File.

Reporters must arrive at Kennedy's news center by 10:30 p.m., Oct. 19
for transportation to the viewing area. For the sunrise event,
reporters must arrive by 6:30 a.m., Oct. 20. Media accreditation for
these events is closed.

Badges will be available for pick up at the badging facility on State
Road 3 on Monday, Oct. 19, from 8:30 - 10 p.m. Updates with times for
all events are available by calling 321-867-2525. All participants
must be properly dressed in full-length pants, flat shoes that
entirely cover the feet, and shirts with sleeves.

The rollout of Ares I-X originally was set for Monday, Oct. 19. During
testing on Oct. 14, engineers detected a nitrogen gas leak in an
accumulator located in the aft skirt of the rocket. The accumulator,
which absorbs hydraulic pressure spikes as the system operates, was
replaced and successfully retested. Management is assessing what
effect, if any, this delayed rollout will have on the targeted Oct.
27 launch date.

For NASA TV downlink information, schedules and links to streaming
video, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

To follow the Ares I-X flight test on Twitter, go to:

http://www.twitter.com/NASA_Ares_I_X

For information about Ares I-X, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/aresIX

-end-