NASA Brings the Ares I-X Flight Test Rocket to Life

Sept. 15, 2009

Amber Philman
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
amber.n.philman@nasa.gov

MEDIA ADVISORY: 43-09

NASA BRINGS THE ARES I-X FLIGHT TEST ROCKET TO LIFE

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The Ares I-X team at NASA's Kennedy Space
Center in Florida has reached a significant milestone with the first
electrical power-up of the test rocket on Sept. 11. Ares I-X and its
simulated crew module and launch abort system are assembled on a
mobile launcher platform at Kennedy in preparation for its targeted
Oct. 31 flight test.

Power-up is the first application of power to all of the electronics
boxes, including avionics, sensors and thrust vector control system,
since the rocket segments arrived and were stacked at Kennedy.
Testing ran for three days and concluded Sept. 14. The boxes were all
powered up individually in Denver, but had not been tested since
installation in the rocket with actual flight cabling.

"Powering up a new vehicle and having all of the systems 'talking' to
each other is always a challenge. The power-up was a tremendous
success, with all of the systems functioning nominally," said Bob
Ess, Ares I-X mission manager.

The Ares I-X is wired with more than 700 sensors to gather data during
the two-and-a-half minute flight test. The launch will provide NASA
an early opportunity to test and prove hardware, facilities and
ground operations. The data collected during the launch will allow
NASA to gather critical data for Ares I and future launch vehicles.

To follow Ares I-X processing on Twitter, visit:

http://www.twitter.com/NASA_Ares_I_X

For more information about Ares I-X and NASA's next-generation
spacecraft, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ares

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov