NASA Invites Media to Ares I-X Milestone

June 5, 2009

Amber Philman
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
amber.n.philman@nasa.gov

MEDIA ADVISORY: 31-09

NASA INVITES MEDIA TO ARES I-X MILESTONE

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - NASA's Kennedy Space Center, Fla., invites
media to view the Ares I-X rocket Forward Assembly move on Thursday,
June 11, from the Assembly Refurbishment Facility to the Vehicle
Assembly Building for processing for the upcoming flight test this
summer.

Manufactured by Major Tool and Machine in Indiana under a subcontract
with the Ares first stage prime contractor ATK, the frustum, forward
skirt and forward skirt extension were integrated to form the forward
assembly. The assembly will be moved to the Vehicle Assembly
Building's High Bay 4 for processing and stacking to the upper stage.

Media will be able to document the move, as well as interview NASA,
ATK and United Space Alliance program managers about the flight,
which is targeted to launch no earlier than August 30. Media need to
be at Kennedy's Press Site by 7 a.m. on June 11 for transportation to
the event. STS-127 mission badges will be honored for this event.

The Ares I-X test flight will provide NASA an early opportunity to
test and prove hardware, facilities and ground operations associated
with the Ares I crew launch vehicle. It also will allow NASA to
gather critical data during ascent of the integrated Orion spacecraft
and the Ares I rocket. The data will ensure the entire vehicle system
is safe and fully operational before astronauts begin traveling to
orbit.

All participants attending the event must be dressed in full-length
pants, flat shoes that cover the feet entirely and shirts with
sleeves. Dates and times are subject to change. Please call the
Kennedy news center information line at 321-867-2525 for updates.

Video B-roll of the hardware will be available on NASA Television's
Video File. For NASA TV streaming video, schedules and downlink
information, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

For more information about Ares I-X and NASA's next-generation
rockets, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ares

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov