NASA's Shuttle Program Hands Over Launch Pad To Constellation

May 29, 2009

Amber Philman
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
amber.n.philman@nasa.gov

Ashley Edwards/Grey Hautaluoma
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1756/0668
ashley.edwards-1@nasa.gov

RELEASE: 09-127

NASA'S SHUTTLE PROGRAM HANDS OVER LAUNCH PAD TO CONSTELLATION

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The May 31 transfer of Launch Pad 39B at
NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida from the Space Shuttle Program
to the Constellation Program is the next step in preparing the first
flight test of the agency's next-generation spacecraft and launch
system. The Constellation Program is developing new spacecraft --
including the Ares I and Ares V launch vehicles, the Orion crew
capsule, and the Altair lunar lander -- to carry humans to the
International Space Station, the moon and beyond.

Since the late 1960s, pad B has been instrumental in human spaceflight
programs, such as Apollo, Skylab and the space shuttle. The pad
originally was built for the Saturn V rockets to launch the Apollo
capsules to the moon. In July 1975, the pad was modified to support
space shuttle operations. The first space shuttle to lift off from
pad B was Challenger in January 1986.

The handover took place Sunday after space shuttle Endeavour was moved
to Launch Pad 39A. The ground operations team will finish modifying
pad B for the Ares I-X rocket launch. Modifications will include
removing the orbiter access arm and a section of the gaseous oxygen
vent arm and installing access platforms and a vehicle stabilization
system.

The Ares I-X flight test is targeted for no earlier than Aug. 30. For
more information about Ares I-X, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/aresIX <br \>

For more information about the Constellation Program, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/constellation <br \>

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov