NASA Defers Setting Next Shuttle Launch Date

Feb. 20, 2009

Candrea Thomas
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
candrea.k.thomas@nasa.gov

John Yembrick
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1100
john.yembrick-1@nasa.gov

RELEASE: 09-037

NASA DEFERS SETTING NEXT SHUTTLE LAUNCH DATE

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- During a thorough review of space shuttle
Discovery's readiness for flight, NASA managers decided Friday that
more data and possible testing are required before launching the
STS-119 mission to the International Space Station.

Engineering teams have been working to identify what caused damage to
a flow control valve on shuttle Endeavour during its November 2008
flight.

"We need to complete more work to have a better understanding before
flying," said Bill Gerstenmaier, associate administrator for Space
Operations at NASA Headquarters in Washington who chaired Friday's
Flight Readiness Review. "We were not driven by schedule pressure and
did the right thing. When we fly, we want to do so with full
confidence."

The shuttle has three flow control valves that channel gaseous
hydrogen from the main engines to the external fuel tank. Teams also
have tried to determine the consequences if a valve piece were to
break off and strike part of the shuttle and external fuel tank.

The Space Shuttle Program has been asked to develop a plan to inspect
additional valves similar to those installed on Discovery. This plan
will be reviewed during a meeting on Wednesday, Feb. 25. Afterward,
the program may consider setting a new target launch date.

For more information about the Space Shuttle Program, including a fact
sheet about the flow control valves, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/shuttle

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov