Media Invited To See New Hardware For NASA's Ares I-X Flight Test

Jan. 23, 2009

Amber Philman
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
amber.n.philman@nasa.gov

Grey Hautaluoma
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-0668
grey.hautaluoma-1@nasa.gov

MEDIA ADVISORY: M09-016

MEDIA INVITED TO SEE NEW HARDWARE FOR NASA'S ARES I-X FLIGHT TEST

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Reporters are invited to view new hardware that
will be used in the launch of the Ares I-X rocket, which will be the
first flight test to develop the Ares I rocket. Ares I is part of
NASA's next generation spacecraft and launch vehicle system. NASA
will provide a media opportunity at 10 a.m. EST on Wednesday, Jan.
28, at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Reporters will be able to document the full-scale simulator crew
module and launch abort system as they are unloaded from a C-5 cargo
aircraft at Kennedy's Shuttle Landing Facility. Journalists should
arrive at Kennedy's news center by 9 a.m. for transportation to the
facility. Journalists without permanent Kennedy credentials should
submit their request online by noon on Tuesday, Jan. 27, at:

https://media.ksc.nasa.gov

The Ares I-X is targeted to launch in the summer of 2009. The flight
will provide NASA an early opportunity to test and prove hardware,
facilities and ground operations associated with the Ares I launch
vehicle. The flight test also will bring NASA a step closer to its
exploration goals of sending humans to the moon and destinations
beyond.

All participants attending the event must be dressed in full-length
pants, flat shoes that cover the feet entirely and shirts with
sleeves. Video B-roll of the hardware arrival will be available on
NASA Television's Video File. For NASA TV streaming video, schedules,
and downlink information, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

For more information about Ares I-X and NASA's next-generation
rockets, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ares

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov