First Rocket Parts Of NASA's New Launch System Arrive In Florida

Nov. 4, 2008

George H. Diller
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
george.h.diller@nasa.gov

Grey Hautaluoma/Ashley Edwards
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-0668/1756
grey.hautaluoma-1@nasa.gov; ashley.edwards-1@nasa.gov

RELEASE: 08-281

FIRST ROCKET PARTS OF NASA'S NEW LAUNCH SYSTEM ARRIVE IN FLORIDA

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - The first major flight hardware of the Ares I-X
rocket has arrived in Florida to begin preparation for the inaugural
test flight of the agency's next-generation launch system. The test
flight is targeted for July 12, 2009.

The Ares I-X upper stage simulator traveled to Port Canaveral aboard
the Delta Mariner, a ship that also transports the Delta IV rocket
for United Launch Alliance. The journey began Oct. 22 on the Ohio
River as the barge traveled toward the Mississippi River for its
voyage to Port Canaveral. By Nov. 6, the flight hardware will have
been moved off the barge into high bay 4 of the Vehicle Assembly
Building at NASA's Kennedy Space Center.

The upper stage simulator consists of 11 individual components that
were designed and manufactured during a two-year period at NASA's
Glenn Research Center in Cleveland. The components represent the
size, outer shape and weight of the second stage of the Ares I
rocket, and will be integrated together in the Vehicle Assembly
Building. The upper stage simulator eventually will be stacked atop
the solid rocket booster segments of the Ares I-X rocket.

The Ares I-X test flight will provide NASA an early opportunity to
test and prove hardware, facilities and ground operations associated
with the Ares I crew launch vehicle. It also will allow NASA to
gather critical data during ascent of the integrated Orion crew
exploration vehicle and the Ares I rocket. The data will ensure the
entire vehicle system is safe and fully operational before astronauts
begin traveling to orbit.

On Nov. 6, video B-roll of the arrival activities will be available on
NASA Television's Video File feed. For NASA TV streaming video,
schedules and downlink information, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

For more information about the Ares I-X and NASA's next-generation
spacecraft, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ares

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov