NASA and Florida Power and Light Explore Renewable Energy Projects

Dec. 13, 2007

Jennifer Tharpe
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
jennifer.tharpe@nasa.gov

Sharon Bennett
Florida Power and Light
561-691-2591
Sharon_Bennett@fpl.com

MEDIA ADVISORY: M07-184

NASA AND FLORIDA POWER AND LIGHT EXPLORE RENEWABLE ENERGY PROJECTS

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- NASA and Florida Power and Light, also known
as FPL, are studying potential renewable energy projects that would
be done at Kennedy Space Center. Kennedy and FPL managers signed a
memorandum of understanding Thursday at the space center that
establishes the framework for determining how technically and
financially possible it would be to carry out various â??green powerâ??
plans.

"Kennedy Space Center is pleased to partner with our electric power
provider to explore ways we can jointly improve the use of renewable
energy in Florida," said Center Operations Director Michael J. Benik.
"We are looking forward to identifying projects that can help reduce
our nation's and state's dependence on fossil fuels."

"FPL has long been a clean energy and conservation leader. We now have
an exciting opportunity to work with NASA to bring more renewable
energy to Florida," said Armando Olivera, president of FPL. "This
fits right in with our goal to meet the challenge of reducing
greenhouse gases while providing our customers with clean, reliable
power at an affordable price," he added.

NASA and FPL will jointly work to explore developing renewable energy
projects. These include solar energy power generation concepts, using
biomass for energy production and wind power generation. One plan
under consideration is a solar photovoltaic power generation system
that would occupy about 50 acres of Kennedyâ??s approximately 140,000
acres and would be capable of producing up to 10 megawatts of
electrical power. That is enough energy to serve roughly 3,000 homes.

Details of the projects under consideration still are being formulated
and will be fully evaluated before moving into development.

For information about Florida Power and Light and its programs, visit:

http://www.fpl.com/

For more information about the NASA's Kennedy Space Center, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/home/index.html

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov