New Deputy Director Selected at NASA Glenn

08.24.07

Lori J. Rachul
Glenn Research Center
216-433-8806
lori.j.rachul@nasa.gov

Bill Johnson
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
william.r.johnson@nasa.gov

RELEASE: 07-030

NEW DEPUTY DIRECTOR SELECTED AT NASA GLENN

CLEVELAND - Ramon "Ray" Lugo III has been named the deputy director at
NASA's Glenn Research Center in Cleveland. Lugo succeeds Richard S.
Christiansen who retired in May.

Lugo currently serves as deputy program manager of the Launch Services
Program at NASA's Kennedy Space Center, Fla.

"I had the opportunity to work with Ray during my tenure as deputy
center director at Kennedy," said NASA Glenn Director Dr. Woodrow
Whitlow Jr. "He's an outstanding engineer and a great strategic
thinker with lots of energy. He will be a strong addition to the
Glenn staff and the Ohio community."

Lugo expressed his excitement about the new position. "I'm looking
forward to the broad challenges and the new responsibilities I'll now
have at Glenn, and of course, I will very much enjoy working with Dr.
Whitlow once again," said Lugo.

As the launch services deputy program manager, Lugo is responsible for
program execution guaranteeing access to space for the delivery of
on-time, on-orbit and on-cost launch assets satisfying governmentwide
space transportation requirements.

Lugo began his NASA career at Kennedy in 1975 as a cooperative
education student. His first assignment was in the Construction and
Modifications Branch as an engineer responsible for construction
modifications to Launch Complex 39A in preparation for the first
space shuttle launch.

Since becoming a member of the Senior Executive Service in 2001, he
served as the executive director of the Cape Canaveral Spaceport
Management Office. Other leadership positions include director and
deputy director of Expendable Launch Vehicle Services, manager of
Facilities and Support Equipment Division in the Space Station
Project Office, and chief of the Business Office of the Joint
Performance Management Office.

Lugo has received numerous honors, including two NASA Exceptional
Achievement Medals for contributions to the Galileo Mission and the
Space Station Redesign and two NASA Outstanding Leadership Medals for
his instrumental role in the Expendable Launch Vehicle Program
Transition.

Lugo earned a Bachelor of Science in engineering in 1979 from the
University of Central Florida and a master's degree in engineering
management in 1982 from the Florida Institute of Technology.

A print quality photo of Lugo is available at:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/news/pressrel/2007/07-030addm.html

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov