NASA Vodcasts Deliver Launches to Portable Media Players

08.24.06

Bruce Buckingham
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468

RELEASE: 55-06

NASA VODCASTS DELIVER LAUNCHES TO PORTABLE MEDIA PLAYERS

For the first time, NASA is making space shuttle launch footage
available to anyone who has a portable media player with video
capability. A video podcast, or "vodcast," of the liftoff of Space
Shuttle Atlantis for the STS-115 mission will be available to
subscribers. Atlantis is set to launch at 4:30 p.m. EDT Sunday, Aug.
27 from the Kennedy Space Center. NASA will continue to offer these
free downloads for every launch.

A podcast is a digital audio or video file automatically downloaded to
a personal computer and transferred to an iPod or similar media
player. On the NASA Web site, http://www.nasa.gov/home, the agency
refers to a video podcast as a "vodcast."

The launch vodcast will be approximately three minutes long, beginning
in the final seconds before liftoff and continuing through separation
of the twin solid rocket boosters about two minutes into flight.
Footage will be drawn directly from NASA cameras and will include
natural audio, as well as launch and ascent commentary provided by
Kennedy Space Center and Johnson Space Center in Houston.

"We are really excited about this new offering," said Dennis
Armstrong, public Web information manager at Kennedy. "We've been
producing audio podcasts for a while now. We tested the video podcast
technology for the STS-121 launch and it went very well. We're very
pleased to make it officially available to a wider audience for all
future missions, including both space shuttle and rocket launches."

The vodcasts are included in NASAcast, a free service that enables
subscribers to download NASA features, news and other content. Just
like a magazine subscription, the podcast delivers new information
directly to the user. Podcast software automatically searches for new
content on a frequent basis, and subscribers can review the content
at their computer or download it to a player for later use.

In addition to launches, other NASAcast selections include feature
stories from NASA's Web site; "This Week@NASA" from NASA TV; "How to
Build a Rocket Scientist" from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory; and
"Science in STEREO," highlighting the upcoming mission to study the
sun.

For information on subscribing and using NASAcast, vist:

http://www.nasa.gov/podcast

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov