NASA Names Parsons New Kennedy Space Center Deputy Director

01.24.06

Jessica Rye
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
Phone: (321) 867-2468

RELEASE: 11-06

NASA NAMES PARSONS NEW KENNEDY SPACE CENTER DEPUTY DIRECTOR

NASA today named William (Bill) W. Parsons the new deputy director of
the agency's Kennedy Space Center, Fla., effective in mid-February.
Parsons succeeds Dr. Woodrow Whitlow Jr., who was named the director
of the Glenn Research Center in Ohio in December.

"Bill's space operations background, experience and technical
expertise, especially within the space shuttle program, along with
his proven leadership ability make him the best possible choice as
our new deputy center director," said Jim Kennedy, KSC director. "His
background, knowledge and familiarity with KSC will allow him to
contribute immediately to our team as we prepare for the next space
shuttle mission, continue to process International Space Station
hardware, prepare for critical unmanned robotic launches and carry
out the first steps of the Vision for Space Exploration in 2006!"

Parsons most recently served as director of NASA's John C. Stennis
Space Center in Mississippi since September 2005.

As space shuttle program manager, Parsons led the return-to-flight
activities for the agency and played a major role in the recent
success of the Discovery STS-114 mission. His first stint as Stennis
center director came in August 2002. He was first assigned to Stennis
in 1997 as the chief of operations of the Propulsion Test
Directorate. Parsons relocated to NASA's Johnson Space Center in
Houston to become the director of the Center Operations Directorate.
He later served as the deputy director of Johnson. He returned to
Stennis in 2001 and served as director of the Center Operations and
Support Directorate.

"I could not be happier to be returning to the Kennedy Space Center
for the opportunity to work with such a tremendously talented and
dedicated team of individuals," said Parsons. "I started with NASA at
KSC and my family lives on the Space Coast, so it feels like coming
home."

In 1990, Parsons joined the NASA team at Kennedy Space Center as a
launch site support manager in the Shuttle Operations Directorate. He
also worked as an executive management intern and later as the
shuttle flow director of the Shuttle Operations Directorate at KSC.
In 1996, he became manager of the Space Station Hardware Integration
Office at the center.

Parsons has received numerous honors, including NASA's Exceptional
Service Medal; the Silver Snoopy, awarded by astronauts for
outstanding performance in flight safety and mission success; and the
Center Directors' Commendation. He holds a bachelor's degree in
engineering from the University of Mississippi and a master's degree
in engineering management from the University of Central Florida.

Parsons resides in Merritt Island, Fla., with his wife and two
children.

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov