NASA Clears Space Shuttle Discovery for Landing

08.04.05

Melissa Mathews/James Hartsfield
Johnson Space Center, Houston
(Phone: 281/483-5111)

Jessica Rye
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
(Phone: 321/867-2468)

RELEASE: 05-214

NASA CLEARS SPACE SHUTTLE DISCOVERY FOR LANDING

Space Shuttle mission managers today completed their assessment of
Discovery's fitness to handle the rigors of re-entry into the
atmosphere.

"We have cleared Discovery to re-enter," said Wayne Hale, chairman of
the Mission Management Team (MMT), during a news conference at NASA's
Johnson Space Center, Houston.

The MMT determined the orbiter's heat shield and other systems are in
good shape. They also decided a spacewalk is unnecessary to repair
damage to a thermal blanket on Discovery's outer skin.

Earlier this week, Discovery (STS-114) mission managers determined two
components of the Shuttle's Thermal Protection System, tile and
Reinforced Carbon-Carbon, were fit for re-entry and landing. Today,
the MMT cleared the final element: thermal blankets. One blanket is
slightly torn and billowing in orbit.

The MMT considered the results of overnight testing at NASA's Ames
Research Center, Moffett Field, Calif. Engineers ran samples of torn
thermal blankets through wind tunnels at velocities many times faster
than the speed of sound. Tests showed it was highly unlikely the
blanket would tear off or strike the orbiter. Other analyses showed
the blankets would still protect Discovery from re-entry heat.

Based on the analysis of the blankets and considering the risks of a
fourth spacewalk, mission managers decided the torn blanket did not
need repair. "We've assessed this risk to the very best of our
knowledge, and we believe the risk is small," Hale said.

New imaging capabilities developed after the Space Shuttle Columbia
accident allowed mission managers to see and analyze the torn thermal
blanket. Data from the images were used to re-create blanket samples
for the wind tunnel tests. "I think it's remarkable we have
capability to look at these small things in flight," Hale said.

Discovery is set to land Monday, Aug. 8 at NASA's Kennedy Space
Center, Fla. The first opportunity for Commander Eileen Collins to
land the Space Shuttle is at 4:46 a.m. EDT.

For the latest information about the STS-114 mission on the Web,
visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight

For information about NASA and agency programs on the Web, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov