Statement by Kennedy Space Center Director James W. Kennedy

07.28.05

Mike Rein
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
(Phone: 321/867-2468)

RELEASE: 70-05

STATEMENT BY KENNEDY SPACE CENTER DIRECTOR JAMES W. KENNEDY

"The announcement that the Space Shuttle program will not launch
another Shuttle until we understand this External Tank foam shedding
problem is absolutely the right thing to do. We simply will not fly
again until we fix this problem and NASA leadership determines it is
safe to fly. Whenever we fly again, whether in September or a future
launch window, the KSC work force stands ready to support that
mission with whatever is needed to ensure it's done the right way. In
the near term, our team is concentrating on the successful landing of
STS-114 here at KSC Aug. 7. At the same time, we are engaged in
supporting the problem resolution activities with our unique valued
expertise. In the meantime, we stand ready to continue to support the
Mission Management Team in Houston in any way possible while
Discovery is on orbit."

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov