NASA Gives Go for Space Shuttle Return to Flight

06.30.05

Dean Acosta/Allard Beutel
Headquarters, Washington
(Phone: 202/358-1898/4769)

Michael J. Rein
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
(Phone: 321/867-2468)

RELEASE: 05-171

NASA GIVES GO FOR SPACE SHUTTLE RETURN TO FLIGHT

NASA has cleared the Space Shuttle to Return to Flight. After a
two-day Flight Readiness Review meeting at NASA's Kennedy Space
Center in Florida, senior managers approved a July 13 launch date for
Discovery.

Commander Eileen Collins and her crew are scheduled to lift off at
3:51 p.m. EDT on the first U.S. space flight since the February 2003
loss of the Shuttle Columbia.

"After a vigorous, healthy discussion our team has come to a decision:
we're ready to go," NASA Administrator Michael Griffin said after the
meeting. "The past two and half years have resulted in significant
improvements that have greatly reduced the risk of flying the
Shuttle. But we should never lose sight of the fact that space flight
is risky.

"The Discovery mission, designated STS-114, is a test flight," Griffin
said, noting that astronauts will try out a host of new Space Shuttle
safety enhancements. In addition, Discovery will carry 15 tons of
supplies and replacement hardware to the International Space Station.
July 13 is the beginning of three weeks of possible launch days that
run through July 31.

NASA's Associate Administrator for Space Operations, William Readdy,
chaired the Flight Readiness Review, the meeting that traditionally
sets launch dates and assesses the Shuttle's fitness to fly.

"Today's decision is an important milestone in returning the Shuttle
to service for the country. Our technical and engineering teams are
continuing their in-depth preparations to ensure that Eileen and her
crew have a successful mission," he said.

-end-

ksc-subscribe@newsletters.nasa.gov