NASA KSC IMAGE ANALYSIS FACILITY STUDYING SARASOTA KIDNAPPING VIDEO

Title: NASA News

NASA News

National Aeronautics and

Space Administration

John F. Kennedy Space Center

Kennedy Space Center, Florida 32899

AC 321 867-2468

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mike Rein

Kennedy Space Center, Fla.                                                      February 4, 2004

(Phone:  321/867-2468)

Release:  03-04

NASA KSC IMAGE ANALYSIS FACILITY STUDYING SARASOTA KIDNAPPING VIDEO

Working with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Image Analysis facility here is studying the Sarasota kidnapping video of Carlie Brucia to provide any new information possible to law enforcement officers.  KSC is joining NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Alabama in reviewing the tape.

“Earlier today, working through our KSC security office, we were contacted by the FBI who asked us to review the tape,” said Armando Oliu, Final Inspection Team lead for the shuttle program overseeing the image lab. “We immediately began to review the video upon its arrival and will continue to review it until we feel there is nothing new to learn.”

The lab is using an advanced SGI® TP9500 data management system to review the tape.  This is the new $3.2 million system KSC installed in preparation for Return to Flight of the Space Shuttle fleet.  The system allows NASA engineers to perform preliminary video analysis within hours of a shuttle launch and provide more detailed film analysis the day after launch. NASA, United Space Alliance (USA) and Silicon Graphics, Inc. teamed to create one of the world’s highest performing visual film analysis systems.

With the new system, NASA’s Ice/Debris Team can analyze full-frame, real-time, standard-definition and high-definition video at 1280x720 pixels and can analyze 16 mm and 35 mm film data at 4096x3112 pixels. The system was designed to process 150,000 frames of film and 300,000 frames of video within two weeks of a launch.

Armando Oliu will be available at 3 p.m. today to address the capabilities of the Image Analysis Lab, however, no details of the case or new information will be discussed.  Media should come to the KSC TV studio to meet with Oliu.

-end-

[Index of Archives]     [KSC Site]     [NASA News]     [NASA Science News]     [JPL]     [Marshall Space Flight Center]     [NTSB]     [Yosemite News]     [Tuolumne Meadows Campground]     [STB]     [Deep Creek Forum]     [Cassini Status Reports]     [Telescopes]