CONFERENCE PROMOTES IDEA-SHARING AND PROMISING RESEARCH

Title: NASA News
KSC Education Program and FSGC hosts the first Research Conference at the KSC Visitors Complex, Nov. 20-21.

NASA News

National Aeronautics and

Space Administration

John F. Kennedy Space Center

Kennedy Space Center, Florida 32899

AC 321 867-2468

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For release: Nov. 14, 2003

Tracy Young

Kennedy Space Center, Fla.

321/867-2468

KSC Release No: 94-03

CONFERENCE PROMOTES IDEA-SHARING AND PROMISING RESEARCH

Joining forces to encourage successful research are the NASA-Kennedy Space Center, Fla., and Florida Space Grant Consortium (FSGC). NASA-KSC's Education Programs and University Research Division and FSGC are hosting the first Research Conference at the KSC Visitors Complex (KSCVC), Nov. 20-21.

"Our mission is about understanding nature, exploring the universe, searching for life and inspiring generations to come.  The main objectives of the event are to welcome these researchers to our team, to listen to their ideas, to give them time to be with their NASA colleagues and visit their labs, and to familiarize them with our people, facilities and operations," said Eduardo Lopez del Castillo, University Research Division program manager.

University students, who have participated or will participate in KSC's internship programs, will discuss cutting-edge research project abstracts. Students have been carefully selected to work in KSC's Strategic Technology Development thrust areas and to help us turn into reality our center's Spaceport Technology Development Center vision. They will learn from the bright workforce comprising NASA-KSC and FSGC. Along with touring the Center and enjoying KSCVC's offerings, participants will listen to a variety of guest speakers. The speakers include Dr. Christopher Packham, University of Florida astronomy department, Gainesville, Fla.; Scott Thurston, NASA, Space Shuttle Columbia Vehicle Manager; and Jim Heald, NASA Spaceport Engineering and Technology director. Event seminars include sessions on education programs, grant writing, and publishing of research.

Government, NASA contractor, university, state, and non-profit organization representatives will be in attendance.  KSC's workforce may attend the seminars and technical presentations, Nov. 21, 8:30 a.m.-noon, at the KSCVC Debus Conference Center.

-more-

-2-

For further conference details, visit:

http://fsgc.engr.ucf.edu/conference/

NASA's education programs are an investment to develop our future technicians, engineers and scientists.  Additional NASA-KSC education information, including Graduate Student Research Program details can be found at:

http://education.ksc.nasa.gov/

For information about other NASA education programs on the Internet, visit:

http://education.nasa.gov

-end-

[Index of Archives]     [KSC Site]     [NASA News]     [NASA Science News]     [JPL]     [Marshall Space Flight Center]     [NTSB]     [Yosemite News]     [Tuolumne Meadows Campground]     [STB]     [Deep Creek Forum]     [Cassini Status Reports]     [Telescopes]