Re: EFI table being corrupted during Kexec

On 10/09/2024 15:26, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Breno Leitao <leitao@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> We've seen a problem in upstream kernel kexec, where a EFI TPM log event table
>> is being overwritten.  This problem happen on real machine, as well as in a
>> recent EDK2 qemu VM.
>>
>> Digging deep, the table is being overwritten during kexec, more precisely when
>> relocating kernel (relocate_kernel() function).
>>
>> I've also found that the table is being properly reserved using
>> memblock_reserve() early in the boot, and that range gets overwritten later in
>> by relocate_kernel(). In other words, kexec is overwriting a memory that was
>> previously reserved (as memblock_reserve()).
>>
>> Usama found that kexec only honours memory reservations from /sys/firmware/memmap
>> which comes from e820_table_firmware table.
>>
>> Looking at the TPM spec, I found the following part:
>>
>> 	If the ACPI TPM2 table contains the address and size of the Platform Firmware TCG log,
>> 	firmware “pins” the memory associated with the Platform Firmware TCG log, and reports
>> 	this memory as “Reserved” memory via the INT 15h/E820 interface.
>>

>> From: https://trustedcomputinggroup.org/wp-content/uploads/PC-ClientPlatform_Profile_for_TPM_2p0_Systems_v49_161114_public-review.pdf
>>
>> I am wondering if that memory region/range should be part of e820 table that is
>> passed by EFI firmware to kernel, and if it is not passed (as it is not being
>> passed today), then the kernel doesn't need to respect it, and it is free to
>> overwrite (as it does today). In other words, this is a firmware bug and not a
>> kernel bug.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>
> I agree that this appears to be a firmware bug.  This memory is reserved
> in one location and not in another location.
>
> That said that doesn't mean we can't deal with it in the kernel.
> acpi_table_upgrade seems to have hit a similar issue issue and calls
> arch_reserve_mem_area to reserve the area in the e820tables.
>

> The last time I looked the e820 tables (in the kernel) are used to store
> the efi memory map when available and only use the true e820 data on
> older systems.
>
> Which is a long way of say that the e820 table in the kernel last I
> looked was the master table, of how the firmware views the memory.
>

> As I recall the memblock allocator is the bootstrap memory allocator
> used when bringing up the kernel.  So I don't see reserving something
> in the memblock allocator as being authoritative as to how the firmware
> has setup memory.
>

> I would suggest writing a patch to update whatever is calling
> memblock_reserve to also, or perhaps in preference to update the e820
> map.  If the code is not x86 specific I would suggest using ACPI's
> arch_reserve_mem_area call.

Thanks, I have sent a potential fix for this at
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240911104109.1831501-1-usamaarif642@xxxxxxxxx/

We can see this issue in kernels going all the way back to 5.12. Up until now it only corrupted
the tpm_log version, so it wasn't really an issue. After upgrading production to 6.9, the tpm_log
size has started to get corrupted as well. When size was corrupted to a negative value, the
memblock_reserve in efi_tpm_eventlog_init is reserving the entire memory available, and the system
OOMs at boot time, which is causing a serious issue. It would be good to know if the above patch is
an acceptable fix.

Thanks!
Usama