[no subject]

Why do you say that it would have to be a deprivileged kernel context
though? In lockdown mode we would enforce a signature check on the PE
file, so it shouldn't be any different from loading a signed kernel
module from a kernel lockdown perspective, right?

Using KVM is actually something I didn't consider yet, however it would
not work in VMs without nested virtualization.

> The advantage of this approach is that the whole concept of purgatory
> can be avoided - the EFI boot phase runs in parallel with the previous
> kernel, which has full control over authentication and [emulated] PCR
> externsion, and has ultimate control over whether the kexec reboot is
> permitted.

I'm under the impression that we still need some code to run between the
kernels to do two things:

1. Clean up the address space, so that it's what the EFI binary expects
2. Verify a checksum on the saved state in case a kernel panic is the
result of memory corruption

Sure, the majority of the work (running the EFI binary until EBS()) is
done while the old kernel is still running.

> [...]
>
> I don't think intermediate kernels are the solution here. We need to
> run as much as possible under the control of the preceding kernel, and
> minimize the bare metal handover that occurs after EBS(). Adding more
> code to the purgatory (as this series does) is not acceptable to me,
> as it is extremely difficult to debug, and duplicates drivers and
> other logic (making it an 'intermediate kernel' of sorts already)

I agree

> Today, UKI functionality is implemented in terms of EFI API calls. Any
> solution that needs either a parallel implementation (eBPF vs EFI) or
> needs to unpack the UKI in order to perform the steps that the UKI
> would perform itself if it were executed in an EFI environment is a
> no-go in my opinion.
>
> So either we provide some EFI compatible runtime sufficient to run a
> UKI, or we re-engineer UKI to be built on top of an abstraction that
> can be implemented straight-forwardly both on system firmware and in
> the EFI context.

A solution that can boot UKIs as they exist today is definetly the right
choice. Rewriting them for eBPF and maintaining two implementations is
way less than ideal.