Re: [RFC 00/18] Pkernfs: Support persistence for live update

On Mon, 5 Feb 2024 12:01:45 +0000
James Gowans <jgowans@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
>
> 4) Kernel memory pools [3, 4]: These provide a mechanism for kernel modules/drivers
> to allocate persistent memory, and restore that memory after kexec. They do do
> not attempt to provide the ability to store userspace accessible state or have a
> filesystem interface.
>
> == How to use ==
>
> Use the mmemap and pkernfs cmd line args to carve memory out of system RAM and
> donate it to pkernfs. For example to carve out 1 GiB of RAM starting at physical
> offset 1 GiB:
>   memmap=1G%1G nopat pkernfs=1G!1G
>
> Mount pkernfs somewhere, for example:
>   mount -t pkernfs /mnt/pkernfs
>
> Allocate a file for guest RAM:
>   touch /mnt/pkernfs/guest-ram
>   truncate -s 100M /mnt/pkernfs/guest-ram
>
> Add QEMU cmdline option to use this as guest RAM:
>   -object memory-backend-file,id=pc.ram,size=100M,mem-path=/mnt/pkernfs/guest-ram,share=yes
>   -M q35,memory-backend=pc.ram
>
> Allocate a file for IOMMU domain page tables:
>   touch /mnt/pkernfs/iommu/dom-0
>   truncate -s 2M /mnt/pkernfs/iommu/dom-0
>
> That file must be supplied to VFIO when creating the IOMMU container, via the
> VFIO_CONTAINER_SET_PERSISTENT_PGTABLES ioctl. Example: [4]
>
> After kexec, re-mount pkernfs, re-used those files for guest RAM and IOMMU
> state. When doing DMA mapping specify the additional flag
> VFIO_DMA_MAP_FLAG_LIVE_UPDATE to indicate that IOVAs are set up already.
> Example: [5].
>
> == Limitations ==
>
> This is a RFC design to sketch out the concept so that there can be a discussion
> about the general approach. There are many gaps and hacks; the idea is to keep
> this RFC as simple as possible. Limitations include:
>
> * Needing to supply the physical memory range for pkernfs as a kernel cmdline
> parameter. Better would be to allocate memory for pkernfs dynamically on first
> boot and pass that across kexec. Doing so would require additional integration
> with memblocks and some ability to pass the dynamically allocated ranges
> across. KHO [0] could support this.
>
> * A single filesystem with no support for NUMA awareness. Better would be to
> support multiple named pkernfs mounts which can cover different NUMA nodes.
>
> * Skeletal filesystem code. There’s just enough functionality to make it usable to
> demonstrate the concept of using files for guest RAM and IOMMU state.
>
> * Use-after-frees for IOMMU mappings. Currently nothing stops the pkernfs guest
> RAM files being deleted or resized while IOMMU mappings are set up which would
> allow DMA to freed memory. Better integration with guest RAM files and
> IOMMU/VFIO is necessary.
>
> * Needing to drive and re-hydrate the IOMMU page tables by defining an IOMMU file.
> Really we should move the abstraction one level up and make the whole VFIO
> container persistent via a pkernfs file. That way you’d "just" re-open the VFIO
> container file and all of the DMA mappings inside VFIO would already be set up.

Note that the vfio container is on a path towards deprecation, this
should be refocused on vfio relative to iommufd.  There would need to
be a strong argument for a container/type1 extension to support this,
iommufd would need to be the first class implementation.  Thanks,

Alex