Re: [RFC][nvdimm][crash] pmem memmap dump support

On 2023/02/23 15:24, lizhijian@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> [...]
> more details. In fsdax, struct page array becomes very important, it is one of the key data to find
> status of reverse map.
>
> So, when metadata was stored in pmem, even pmem's per-page metadata will not be dumped. That means
> troubleshooters are unable to check more details about pmem from the dumpfile.
>
> ### Make pmem memmap dump support ###
> ---
> Our goal is that whether metadata is stored on mem or pmem, its metadata can be dumped and then the
> crash-utilities can read more details about the pmem. Of course, this feature can be enabled/disabled.
>
> First, based on our previous investigation, according to the location of metadata and the scope of
> dump, we can divide it into the following four cases: A, B, C, D.
> It should be noted that although we mentioned case A&B below, we do not want these two cases to be
> part of this feature, because dumping the entire pmem will consume a lot of space, and more importantly,
> it may contain user sensitive data.
>
> +-------------+----------+------------+
> |\+--------+\     metadata location   |
> |            ++-----------------------+
> | dump scope  |  mem     |   PMEM     |
> +-------------+----------+------------+
> | entire pmem |     A    |     B      |
> +-------------+----------+------------+
> | metadata    |     C    |     D      |
> +-------------+----------+------------+
>
> Case A&B: unsupported
> - Only the regions listed in PT_LOAD in vmcore are dumpable. This can be resolved by adding the pmem
> region into vmcore's PT_LOADs in kexec-tools.
> - For makedumpfile which will assume that all page objects of the entire region described in PT_LOADs
> are readable, and then skips/excludes the specific page according to its attributes. But in the case
> of pmem, 1st kernel only allocates page objects for the namespaces of pmem, so makedumpfile will throw
> errors[2] when specific -d options are specified.
> Accordingly, we should make makedumpfile to ignore these errors if it's pmem region.
>
> Because these above cases are not in our goal, we must consider how to prevent the data part of pmem
> from reading by the dump application(makedumpfile).
>
> Case C: native supported
> metadata is stored in mem, and the entire mem/ram is dumpable.
>
> Case D: unsupported && need your input
> To support this situation, the makedumpfile needs to know the location of metadata for each pmem
> namespace and the address and size of metadata in the pmem [start, end)
>
> We have thought of a few possible options:
>
> 1) In the 2nd kernel, with the help of the information from /sys/bus/nd/devices/{namespaceX.Y, daxX.Y, pfnX.Y}
> exported by pmem drivers, makedumpfile is able to calculate the address and size of metadata
> 2) In the 1st kernel, add a new symbol to the vmcore. The symbol is associated with the layout of
> each namespace. The makedumpfile reads the symbol and figures out the address and size of the metadata.

Hi Zhijian,

sorry, probably I don't understand enough, but do these mean that
  1. /proc/vmcore exports pmem regions with PT_LOADs, which contain
     unreadable ones, and
  2. makedumpfile gets to know the readable regions somehow?

Then /proc/vmcore with pmem cannot be captured by other commands,
e.g. cp command?

Thanks,
Kazu