Re: Unified Kernel Image Support

On 02/03/23 at 10:46pm, Yishen Miao wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am experimenting kexec on my box. It uses systemd-boot as the bootloader and boots from a unified kernel image (objcopy'ed cmdline, kernel, initrdramfs, and microcode updates). As of kexec-tools 2.0.25 and systemd 252.5, when I rum systemctl kexec, it returns the following:
>

> # sudo systemctl kexec
> Running /usr/bin/kexec --load "/efi/EFI/Linux/ArchLinux-linux.efi" --append "root=UUID=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX"(null)
> Cannot determine the file type of /efi/EFI/Linux/ArchLinux-linux.efi
>
> It seems that systemctl successfully identified the UKI from systemd-boot, however, kexec could not recognize it.
>
> Are there any plans to add UKI support to kexec? Your response is greatly appreciated!

My colleageus mentioned UKI recently. We have plan to support it, while
haven't started to work on that.

I have a testing machine at hand right now, just finished teseting
upstream patches. If you have the detailed steps about how to make UKI,
privately or publicly, I can try it now, and see what we can do.

Thanks
Baoquan