RE: [REQUEST] makedumpfile: stream compress flat ELF format with libz

The kdump-compressed format does per-page compression with compression level 1,
so depending on data in vmcore, gzip (with -6 by default) can compress one much
smaller like this.  Although I don't have a vmcore that shows such a drop in size
with gzip as far as I tested.

> My feature request was to implement an option inside makedumpfile to gzip
> compress the core output. This can already be accomplished by piping the core
> thru the gzip tool, however, because makedumpfile already links against libz
> having the option for makedumpfile to do it allows the gzip tools to be removed
> from the crash kernels initramfs there by reducing the size.

(personally I prefer piping it through gzip, but apparently there are cases where
the initramfs size needs to be minimized..)

> Kazuhito Hagio had suggest adding the -C option instead of repurposing -c to do
> this.
>
> So a resulting command line might looks like this,
>
> makedumpfile -C -F -E -d 31 /proc/vmcore core.gz

Yes, the existing -c option is for per-page compression and creates a dumpfile that
can be opened directly with crash utility, but stream compression is different.
So I'd like to separate it from the -c.

(as John commented, -z also might be good, but I wonder if someone might start to
want the same function with lzo or snappy..)

Anyway, I'll wait for patches for this enhancement.

Thanks,
Kazu