[RFC] makedumpfile-1.5.1 RC

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 12:49:35AM +0000, Hatayama, Daisuke wrote:
> [...]

Ok, this is interesting. So reassembling of various vmcore fragments
happen later and user needs to explicitly do that?

> original dumpfile are splitted into n vmcores of kdump-compressed formats, each of
> which has the same size basically and where n processes are used, not threads.
> (The author told me the reason why process was chosen that he didn't want to put
> relatively large libc library in the 2nd kernel at that time. But recently, libc library is
> present on the 2nd kernel as scp needs to use it. This might no longer pointless.)
>
> I think Cliff's idea works orthogonally to parallel processing. I'll also test it on our
> machine.
>
> Also, sorry for delaying the work on multiple cpus in the 2nd kernel. Posting new
> version of the patch set is delayed a few weeks more. But it's possible to wake up
> AP cpus in the 2nd kernel safely if BIOS always assigns 0 lapicid to BSP since
> then if kexec enteres 2nd kernel with some AP lcpu, kernel always assigns 1 lcpu
> number to BSP lcpu. So, maxcpus=1 and waking up cpus except for 1 lcpu works
> as a workaround. If anyone wants to bench with parallel processing, please do it
> like this.

Thanks. If you happen to do some benchmarking, please do share the
numebrs. I am really curious to know if this parallel processing will
speed up the things enough to have reasonable dump times on multi tera
byte machines.

Thanks
Vivek