[Xen-devel] incorrect layout of globals from head_64.S during kexec boot

>>> On 05.07.12 at 23:06, Olaf Hering <olaf at aepfle.de> wrote:
> My question is: were to put additional debug to trace the copying of the
> data section to its final destination? Is this a task of kexec -l or
> does that happen during decompressing? I suspect the latter. This is the
> console output before the crash (the crash happens in 'movq %rax, %cr3'):

> [   44.072548] Starting new kernel
> I'm in purgatory
> early console in decompress_kernel
>
> Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.

According to this, I'd first of all extend the printing done on
arch/x86/boot/compressed/misc.c:parse_elf(). One possible
problem (without much looking at how the individual address
ranges get determined) could be overlapping memory ranges
in the call to memcpy() inside the loop.

Jan