root on nfs or other troubles

The setup I have here at home consists of a nfs server, and two disk less clients. Every day the nfs server creates a fresh kernel for the clients. One of the clients has been inactive for a while (about half a year) and is now annoyingly unstable. Either the hardware or the kernel or something else has degraded. The client seams to hang on a nfs action. The mouse keeps moving when in X, and some screen objects respond to mouse movement. When in terminal mode (I don't trust the openchrome x driver) key strokes end up on the terminal. Pinging the client from another machine ends in timeouts.

I have pinged the client for an hour or two. no problem. Ran several ping -A's as root, no problem. Ran a normal ping and a 'find / -name bhjfihreibu -print' and within minutes the ping died.

I could try an older kernel, say about half a year ago, but things have changed in haf a year like the kernel verion of the nfs server, nfs parmeters and kernel .config file. The second client (different hardware) is as stable as a rock.

Al the kernel options under kernel hacking in make menuconfig are off. Is there any that I would want to turn on?

--
Hans