Re: Linux guest kernel threat model for Confidential Computing

* Christophe de Dinechin (dinechin@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> [...]
>
> We know how to do that from a guest [1], but you will note that in the
> normal process, a trusted hardware component (e.g. the PSP for AMD SEV)
> proves the validity of the measurements of the TCB by encrypting it with an
> attestation signing key derived from some chip-unique secret. For AMD, this
> is called the VCEK, and TDX has something similar. In the case of SEV, this
> goes through firmware, and you have to tell the firmware each time you
> insert data in the original TCB (using SNP_LAUNCH_UPDATE). This is all tied
> to a VM execution context. I do not believe there is any provision to do the
> same thing to measure host data. And again, it would be somewhat pointless
> if there isn't also a mechanism to ensure the host data is not changed after
> the measurement.
>
> Now, I don't think it would be super-difficult to add a firmware service
> that would let the host do some kind of equivalent to PVALIDATE, setting
> some physical pages aside that then get measured and become inaccessible to
> the host. The PSP or similar could then integrate these measurements as part
> of the TCB, and the fact that the pages were "transferred" to this special
> invariant block would ensure the guests that the code will not change after
> being measured.
>
> I am not aware that such a mechanism exists on any of the existing CC
> platforms. Please feel free to enlighten me if I'm wrong.
>
> [1] https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/understanding-confidential-containers-attestation-flow
> >

> >> After that, I think all bets are off. SecureBoot does little AFAICT
> >> to prevent malicious modifications of the running system by someone with
> >> root access, including deliberately loading a malicious kvm-zilog.ko
> >
> > So disable module loading then or don't allow root access?
>
> Who would do that?
>
> The problem is that we have a host and a tenant, and the tenant does not
> trust the host in principle. So it is not sufficient for the host to disable
> module loading or carefully control root access. It is also necessary to
> prove to the tenant(s) that this was done.
>

> >> It does not mean it cannot be done, just that I don’t think we
> >> have the tools at the moment.
> >
> > Phones, chromebooks do this all the time ...
>
> Indeed, but there, this is to prove to the phone's real owner (which,
> surprise, is not the naive person who thought they'd get some kind of
> ownership by buying the phone) that the software running on the phone has
> not been replaced by some horribly jailbreaked goo.
>
> In other words, the user of the phone gets no proof whatsoever of anything,
> except that the phone appears to work. This is somewhat the situation in the
> cloud today: the owners of the hardware get all sorts of useful checks, from
> SecureBoot to error-correction for memory or I/O devices. However, someone
> running in a VM on the cloud gets none of that, just like the user of your

Assuming you do a measured boot, the host OS and firmware is measured into the host TPM;
people have thought in the past about triggering attestations of the
host from the guest; then you could have something external attest the
host and only release keys to the guests disks if the attestation is
correct; or a key for the guests disks held in the hosts TPM.

Dave

--
Dr. David Alan Gilbert / dgilbert@xxxxxxxxxx / Manchester, UK