Re: How do I get lost windows back?

On Fri, 23 Feb 2024, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

Under X11 you will normally run a window manager which will "reparent" every window that it is supposed to manage. IOW, every visible window is usually a child, yes.

I just brought up the remote possibility that you *might* have managed to unmap your terminal window, somehow. In which case it can be tricky to get it back because the basic purpose of that function is to make a window "disappear". It turns out you probably didn't do this so let's not go deeper down this rabbithole.

R.

René

I for one am glad you brought it up and if you'd indulge a simple question, I'd like to explore this just a little further... Some of us, like me, might find utility in such an ability, and I was unaware of it but am now thinking about it...

BTW, even though I use Fedora (for now anyway!) Wayland doesn't work for my 6-head display card, so I use x11.

I got it that to unmap I'd need to write a C program using Xlib and call XUnmapSubwindows(Display *display, Window w); Not having written an Xlib-using program before - or at least not in maybe 30 years! - and not feeling a need to get deep into it, is / are there a presumption(s) of which window / display is/are the target if they're directly associated with the code that's running the unmap call? Same goes for calling XMapWindow?

I'm contemplating a simple utility that would have a window disappear but monitor the world and if / when conditions change would remap itself. If this gets "deep in the weeds," I'll likely not bother but if the code is simple enough, I might go for it!

Thanks René,
Richard