Re: encode problem of kmail for Japanese Mail

Hello,

In the Message;

  Subject    : encode problem of kmail for Japanese Mail
  Date & Time: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 21:19:29 +0900

[MN] == Masaru Nomiya <nomiya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> has written:

Sorry for typo.

   encode problem of kmail for Japanese Mail

   decode problem of kmail for Japanese Mail

MN> Hello,

MN> As you probably know, for Japanese-language emails contain, there are
MN> three types of character codes

MN> 1. ISO-2022-jp
MN> 2. UTF-8
MN> 3. Shift_JIS

MN> Here, kmail decodes ISO-2022-JP-coded e-mails correctly, but cannot
MN>  decode  UTF-8-coded e-mails or Shift_JIS coded -e-mails correctly,
MN>  and the mail becomes garbled and cannot be read at all.

MN> However, with "kmail --msg e-mail", the source of the e-mails is correctly
MN> displayed.

MN> I have confirmed this with;

MN> 1. openSUSE Leap 15.1 -- kmail 18
MN> 2. openSUSE Leap 15.4 -- kmail 22
MN> 3. openSUE Tumbleweed -- kmail 22

MN> There exits a bug in kmail, I think.

I checked again and the problem is only with UTF-8 encoded emails, not
with Shift_JIS encoded e-mails.
There was a problem with the Shift_JIS email used for the check, but
the cause is still unknown.

Anyway, I think the cause of the garbled characters is that Japanese
UTF-8 encoded e-mails are decoded in ISO-8859-1 (or ISO-Latin-1).

Regards.

---
┏━━┓彡 野宮  賢                         mail-to: nomiya @ galaxy.dti.ne.jp
┃\/彡
┗━━┛       "The question of who holds the platform and whether the person
	       or organisation holding it is trustworthy has serious and profound
	       implications in these volatile times. Once trust is broken, it is
	       extremely difficult to restore. It is necessary to diversify in
	       advance."

							-- Financial Times --