Re: nearly 100% graphics pipe of Rx570 usage when using certain applications

On Monday July 04 2022 10:09:50 Duncan wrote:

>Good idea but he tried that, saying fluxbox (X wm) didn't help.  And he
>tried X and wayland.

Doh, yes he did.

>It'd be /nice/ to know if say qt 5.14 or 5.10 or whatever didn't have the
>problem, while all of qt 5.15 (5.15.0-5.15.5, the latest available on at
>least gentoo) does.

I was surprised to see the other day that Qt is already at 6.2 or so. Definitely worth checking that version out, too!

>The amdgpu (and radeon) driver(s) don't emphasize such parameters as much
>as the intel driver does.  They generally try to do good defaults that I
>(and I suppose most non-gamers at least) have never bothered changing.
>There's also amdgpu/radeon configuration for xorg.conf that I used to
>tweak, but wayland's more difficult in that regard.

FWIW, we have a big HP Pavillon laptop here that's young enough that it came with Win10 installed. It's got an i3 CPU but also an AMD (Radeon I guess) GPU with dedicated RAM. I've tried to address hiccups in browser video replay by forcing that app to use the dedicated GPU, and that always led to more fan noise. Never looked at this under Linux, I must say.

BTW, that statement about parameters and default values is true for the i915 driver too. Only there have been so many buggy versions of it that people have had to start tweaking the parameters... (or kept using an "old" kernel, like the 4.14 LTS one I run on my N3150-based notebook that I bought *after* the aforementioned HP).

>But dolphin doesn't appear to require them either, and it was a problem...

Actually it does: dolphin uses kcmutils, which depends on kdeclarative. Hard to say if QML gets initialised, but check the loaded libraries when you run dolphin and you should see the QML-related ones in the list.

R.