Re: Resized kontact/calendar pane. Now can't get it back

Mike Diehl posted on Fri, 01 Apr 2022 10:43:02 -0400 as excerpted:

> On Thursday, March 10, 2022 5:30:58 PM EDT Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
>> Am Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 05:11:03PM -0500 schrieb Mike Diehl:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I was using kontact's calendar module and managed to make the date
>> > navigator and calendar manager disappear by resizing the panel.  How
>> > can I reset the screen layout?
>>
>> There should be a vertical grip handle right next to the Kontact icon
>> sidebar. Actually, there are two on my machine. One for the iconbar
>> itself and one for those panels.
>
> I was able to get back on my wife's machine and confirm that there are
> no handles to grab.  I can find the resizing area, but when I drag it
> out in either direction, nothing happens.
>
> So, I need to find where the layout is stored and "reset" it.  Any
> ideas?

[Manually reset to standard nested quote/reply order.]

With the caveat below forcing a general answer which I never-the-less hope
you find useful, kde configuration files are normally reasonably named and
found in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME (~/.config/ by default if that var isn't set).
Look for a kontact subdir if it exists, and if you don't find it there,
kontactrc or other kontact* or possibly kalendar* or similar.

With fresh backups just in case, these should be text-editable.

The files should be normal *.ini format files for the most part, plain
text with [] enclosed section titles and setting=value lines.

(Unfortunately, a few "state=" values are apparently base64-encoded binary
or some such -- toolbar state being the thing I remember finding stored
this way. But that's reasonably easy to reconfigure if deleting the rather
opaque line whole is required, certainly easier than having to redo an
entire heavily customized configuration from scratch.)

Caveat: I've never needed the full kontact suite and have never run it.
After a decade on kmail without a lost mail that I recall, I started
losing emails when they jumped the akonadi shark, and migrated away when I
realized they were needlessly complexifying simple text-based email into
easily corrupted binary database crap.  Since then, having broken my
trust, anything kdepim or akonadi related is not allowed anywhere even
close to my systems.  Of course YMMV and you may have never had such
problems and with luck never will, but that's why, not seeing anything
more specific posted yet, I'm posting the rather general answer based on
kde norms, hoping it's still helpful.