Re: Use "Web Shortcuts" to open a selected URL?

On Tuesday 15 September 2020 11:51:11 CEST René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> Hi,

> I guess we're all familiar with documents (say, emails) containing links to

> websites that are not "clickable", so you have to copy and then paste them

> into your browser.

> I've tried to come up with something to use the Web Shortcuts feature to

> open them with just 2 clicks, but failed until now. The feature really

> seems to be designed to open the selected text in a search engine.

> I guess that what you'd need is an existing simple web proxy that takes an

> encoded URL and then sends you there, so you could create a shortcut to

> something like `https://go.to/\{@}`. I haven't found one yet (hard to come

> up with a selective search key!). Alternatively, if the feature supports

> local file URLs and those support arguments, you could replace the

> `https://go.to/` part with a `file://path/to/goto.html/` file.

> I have about zero experience doing web/html/JS coding but maybe someone here

> can tell me if this is possible and give me some pointers?

> Thanks,

> R.

Hi there,

I just played around with it a bit and came up with this:

I have a simple HTML file located locally on my computer and use _javascript_ to correctly parse the URL.

My shortcut URL is

    file:///home/scrumplex/redirect.html#\{0}

I am using {0} here so you can also preserve the parameters of an URL (?foo=bar&bar=foo).

That file's content is here: https://gitlab.com/-/snippets/2015231

--

Sefa Eyeoglu

https://scrumplex.net