Re: Connecting a TV via HDMI

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 16:10:33 -0700
Dave Close <dave@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a Motile M141 laptop running Fedora 32 with KDE and completely
> up-to-date on all software according to DNF. I'm really very happy
> with the laptop. It's fast, light-weight, and capable. The built-in
> screen runs at 1920 x 1080.
>
> When I attach a TV using an HDMI cable, the laptop screen goes dark
> and the TV screen lights up. I get the same effect if the TV is
> attached before the laptop boots. The TV runs at a lower resolution
> but the picture adjusts properly. But there doesn't seem to be any
> way to get both screens to light up concurrently, either as a mirror
> or extension.
>
> Running KDE systemsettings while the TV is connected and viewing the
> output on the TV, systemsettings reports two displays but only shows
> one movable outline. The resolutions are reported differently for
> the two with the laptop screen resolution showing as 1920 x 1080. But
> nothing I've tried seems to make the laptop screen light up. Except
> disconnecting the HDMI cable which, of course, makes the TV go dark.
>
> Getting both screens working is my primary interest here and I'd
> appreciate any suggestions. But if and when that is resolved, I'll
> face the issue of overscan on the TV. To save time later, I'll ask
> now: Is there a way to shrink the TV display so that the edges are
> all visible?
> --
> 	Dave Close

I have DMI problems too under Suse Leap-15.2 & Tumbleweed. This used to work transparently simply duplicating the laptop screem
on the TV by default (with somewhat different purpose and connections in my case). All I want to do is get netflix going so I plug the laptop HDMI into the AV tuner/amp HDMI and swing the source accordingly. As soon as the HDMI link or connection is made the laptop plasma desktop and activity poagers shrink to unreadably small, the mouse appears only on a truncated TV duplicate of another desktop terminal without the panels and the horror never works.