Re: Plasma & NFS

On Friday May 29 2020 17:23:42 Alexander Puchmayr wrote:

>Is there anything I can do against this?

Figure out how to mount NFS  in such a way that I/O becomes interruptable and accessing stale mounts (those where the server is not responding, for instance suspended) don't block indefinitely. I've never managed to do this on recent Linux versions. On top of that the KDE desktop has a nasty habit of keeping files open on mounted shares. As long as that doesn't happen you can unblock your desktop by bringing the NFS servers back online and unmounting the shares. Otherwise you don't have much choice but to log off and then do the dance I just described.

I still use NFS from time to time, but am very careful what applications I use on those shares; opening a project on an NFS share in KDevelop seems to b OK but I wouldn't browse the share in Dolphin. The good thing is that for that you don't need NFS; just use the "fish:" device to browse and manipulate the remote files. If you want to mix commandline apps and KDE apps you might have less annoyance with sshfs over Fuse.