Re: slow graphics when laptop display is disabled

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 5:23:25 PM CEST test wrote:

> Hi,

> I have put a laptop into a docking station and want to use it with an

> external monitor (and keyboard and a trackball) when I have it at home.

> The external monitor is connected to the docking station. When I disable

> the monitor of the laptop in the KDE system settings, or when the lid is

> closed, graphics are unusably slow. When the monitor of the laptop is

> enabled, grahpics are at normal speed.

> This is an HP zbook G2 in it's 230W docking station, connected to a monitor

> at 1920x1200 pixels, running Fedora. NVIDIA drivers aren't installed ---

> do I need them?

> What can do I to use the laptop with the lid closed and it's monitor

> disabled without it getting so slow? Is this even a KDE issue?

> lspci | grep VGA

> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor

> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)

> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GLM [Quadro

> K3100M] (rev a1)

I've got it to work. For the record:

+ enable hybrid graphics in BIOS

+ disable secure boot in BIOS

+ install NVIDIA drivers (from RPMFUSION)

+ make sure nouveau is blacklisted

+ connect external display to VGA port rather than DVI on docking station

I would say "solved" because it works for me. Still I wonder why it's so slow when the internal graphics card is in use with an external monitor; that shouldn't happen.