How to operate Calligra?

Morning all,

I wanted to try Calligra Words, but I can't see the document I've opened. Most
of the space is covered with a panel for adjusting formats, as in the attached
screen shot.

I used Spectacle to take the shot, but selecting the active window revealed
the document; I had to select a rectangular region to capture what I see
ordinarily. Closing Spectacle caused the document to be hidden again. How does
that work?

The first recourse was to Help | Handbook, but KDE said there was no such
handbook - even though I'd installed Calligra with USE=handbook, and the
package file list included lots of docs.

How can I use this word processor?

--
Regards,
Peter.