Re: KDE 5 screen size issue

Hi Rene,

Thanks very much for your reply.  See my in-line comments below.

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 1:34 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tuesday January 16 2018 22:27:00 Mun wrote:
>
>>upgrade also updated my KDE from version 4.x (not sure of the exact
>>version) to version 5.18.0 .  The problem that resulted is that the
>>screen geometry setting via xrandr is not being applied correctly.
>>I've attached a screen shot for clarity.
>
> What's the screen resolution you're trying to set?

In the screen shot, I was setting the resolution to 2560x1600; but I
normally use 1920x1080.  I used the higher resolution for the screen
shot simply because it shows the phenomenon I'm seeing more clearly.
The biggest annoyance is the floating panel.  That is, if I maximize a
window it will actually go under the panel--which is typically a
delimiter for the window size.  Furthermore, changing the panel
setting to "Windows can cover" makes no difference: The panel is still
always on top.

> I can confirm that it still works in my KaOS VM, though periodically I need to tell VirtualBox what I want it to do (a VirtualBox issue).
>
> I don't wait for login to call xrandr though. I also like my login screen to use the proper resolution, so where that isn't automatically the case I put the required xrandr statements in the Xsetup file used when the X server starts.

I can try that; but I never had issues with xrandr with KDE4 so I
don't suspect setting the resolution prior to login will make any
difference.  Nevertheless, it's a good suggestion.

> And as far as I can remember you can still use the "Display and Monitor" kcm from the systemsettings utility, to pick the resolution you want (provided indeed it's known, possibly thanks to a call to xrandr).
>
>>I tried removing the ~/.kde directory and rebooting, but that made no
>>difference.
>
> KF5 gets everything from ~/.config and ~/.local/share . The old ~/.kde is only referenced for migration of old settings, and of course by whatever KDE4 apps you still use.

Oh, that clears things up for me.  I couldn't figure out how all of my
KDE settings were still intact even after removing the ~/.kde
directory.  D'oh :)

Regards,

--
Mun