Re: Setting encoding in Kate

On 06/09/17 16:36, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
On Wednesday September 06 2017 16:16:16 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

Even worse, if I have that comment in the file and try to switch the
encoding manually (from and to CP1252), then Kate corrupts the file by
deleting the unrecognized "block" characters.

That might be an error in some underlying KF5 framework or even in Qt5.

Switching the encoding as you call it apparently triggers a conversion of the textfile, NOT just how the file's individual bytes are interpreted.

I could live with that, since I don't have a reason to change the encoding. However, the modeline just doesn't work. Kate tells me it *is* using the encoding I specified, but it reality it doesn't. Characters of that encoding still show up as squares.