Re: Is it normal that text in the clipboard gets lost?

On 05/06/13 23:57, Doug wrote:
On 06/05/2013 04:39 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 05/06/13 23:33, Doug wrote:
On 06/05/2013 01:03 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
There's something that always bugged me a bit with the clipboard.  I
don't know whether it's a bug or intended behavior.  It goes like this:
when I open an application, select some text in it, then copy it to the
clipboard with Ctrl+C, then close the application and finally try to
paste the text from the clipboard into somewhere else, there's nothing
to copy.  At the moment I closed the application I copied the text
from,
the clipboard contents die.

This is surprising, since "copying to the clipboard", at least on every
other OS I'm using, really means "copying".  Even if the application
the
text came from goes away, the copied text is still in the
clipboard.  Is
this a bug?

I just tested this. I copied some of your email with ctrl-C. Then I
closed Thunderbird. Then I opened Kate and pasted the text in. No sweat.
I'm running KDE 4.10.1 on PCLinuxOS-32. Kernel is 3.2.18-pclos2.pae.bfs.

As pointed out by Kevin, it's because I didn't start klipper.  Without
it running, text goes away when quitting the app the text was copied
from.

I'm the fellow who responded above "I just tested..."  Klipper doen't
appear in my file manager (Synaptic) but I have a help page for it. I
don't know if it's built into the kernel in pclos, but it does not
show up anywhere. Certainly not in the PC Menu.

If you do:

  ps aux | grep klipper

you'll probably find it's running already. You'll get something that ends in:

  kdeinit4: klipper [kdeinit]

meaning it's running automatically when you login into KDE.