kde stops seeing Xonar Exxence soundcard

I have no idea why, but suddenly kde fails to see my Xonar Essence sound card.

Yast (I'm running opensuse 12.2 on this box) still has it registered as the default sound card, and when playng a test sound through Yast, it works. So it's not a hardware problem.

But kde doesn't see it anymore, it's not listed anymore when configuring kmix.
It did so for, well, at least over a year...

I've thrown away .pulse, (found a comment on an Ubuntu forum which suggested that would help), but that didn't change anything.

Anyone an idea whats going on here, and how sound through my beautiful Xonar can be restored?