Re: Folder list in Kmail upsidedown (reverse order)

richard@xxxxxxxxx posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 20:49:32 +0000 as excerpted:

> I've just started using kmail, as it just one of the mail clients can
> cope with a MS echange IMAP server I use. However, in playing to get it
> more gnome looking, sorry for the bad language, I have managed to get
> the mail folder displayed in reverse alphabetical order from the inbox.
>
> How do I get it back to an alphabetical order , A at the top and Z at
> the bottom .?

FWIW I switched from kmail (after using it for eight years!) to claws-
mail when kmail akonadified.  Long story I won't repeat here, but let's
just say be careful moving messages around.  IMAP should be safer than
the pop3 that's all my mail providers have, but I know others who have
lost messages they couldn't recover on IMAP, as well (AFAIK, that was
moving an entire folder, which simply disappeared along with everything
in it, after a crash in the middle of the process).

Of course if it's one of the few that will work at all...

Meanwhile, in kde in general, simply clicking the column title at the top
of a column sorts by it, and clicking the same column header again
reverses the sort order.  Are you saying that didn't work, or is that the
hint you needed?  It's designed to be pretty intuitive, and certainly
seems so after you learn it, but might be a bit hard to discover if you
weren't aware of it and were used to having a specific sort-order dialog
or something.

> Also it it posible to stop kdewallet from keep asking for a password. ?

kwallet is separately configured.

As you may have noticed, it's no longer kmail that's triggering the
kwallet password prompt, but akonadi, which handles the mail accounts,
etc, in the background, and for which kmail is only a GUI front-end,
allowing you to read them, etc.  It's akonadi that does all the fetching,
however, and thus akonadi that triggers kwallet for the password(s).

Back to the kwallet config...

You don't mention which version of kde you're running, and some of this
might be a bit different in earlier versions, but in the kde 4.9.98 aka
4.10-rc3 that I'm currently running...

In kde settings (system settings that aren't for the most part system,
they're almost entirely user-specific and kde-specific, so I refuse to
call them system settings!, the kde3 name kcontrol remains by far more
accurate, or kde settings, which I generally use these days), the kwallet
configuration applet appears under common appearance and behavior,
account details, as kde wallet.  You may be able to get to the same
settings thru the kwallet systray icon, but it may be hidden unless
you've set it to always shown, and the tray icon is optional in any case.

You probably wish to either disable the close when unused for X minutes
option, or set X rather higher.  Tweaking some of the other options may
be useful as well.

AFAIK there's no way to get akonadi to remember passwords except thru
kwallet, so you'll always get the prompt early on in your session, but
with the correct settings, you shouldn't get it after that.  If you wish,
you should be able to set a really simple (one space, for example) or
possibly even empty "password", tho.

Back when I left kmail/akonadi (with kde 4.7.0, so it has been about a
year and a half...), there was however a bug that triggered if you had
multiple email accounts.  Due to some race condition, akonadi would
trigger a kwallet password prompt for each account, even after you'd
answered the first prompt, thus opening the wallet.  That was just
another irritant that ultimately lead me to drop the whole thing.  One
could hope that bug has been fixed by now, but obviously I'd not be aware
of whether it was fixed or not, since I'm not using it any more.