Strange problem with quicktile on secondary monitor

Hi folks:

I've run into a weird problem with quicktiling (dragging a window to the left or right screen edge) on my secondary monitor. Here's my setup. I run a laptop and switch between using only the laptop panel and using it with an external monitor in dual-head mode. When I attach the external monitor, I use the external monitor as my primary monitor and the laptop panel as secondary monitor located to the left of the primary monitor. The primary monitor has two KDE panels on it, one on the top, one on the bottom, the secondary monitor has no panels.

Now, window sizes are as expected when I drag the windows to the edges of the primary monitor. On the secondary monitor, however, things start to go wonky. Most applications behave as expected, that is, they fill the whole screen height when dragged to the screen edge. However, gvim and emacs leave a gap at the bottom that is the same as the height of the two panels on the primary monitor added together. My first suspicion was that it has something to do with windows that specify their requested heights in character lines. However, konsole and xterm do not show this weird behaviour, so this theory does not hold water. Then I thought it's something to do with how KDE works with gtk applications. Then, however, Banshee should have the same problem and it doesn't. So, for now I can reproduce this problem only with gvim and emacs. Nevertheless, given that they are my main tools for my day-to-day work, this is a really annoying issue.

I started to notice this problem using KDE 4.9.X (sorry, don't remember exactly the value of X) under archlinux, then switched to OpenSuse and didn't notice this problem for a while. Now I've upgraded to KDE 4.9.5 on OpenSuse and started to notice this problem again. I tried Google to see whether anybody else has the same problem and maybe a solution, but I didn't find anything that sounded even remotely similar, so I'm out of ideas. Any pointers on how to fix this, start debugging this, ... would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Norbert