Re: Has the KDE Social/Semantic Desktop been worth the hassle to anyone?

On Sunday, 2012-11-18, Duncan wrote:

> I read something from one of the kde devs, I'm not sure where or which
> dev, but...
>
> They mentioned that the reason the "semantic desktop" stuff got as BIG a
> push as it did, back with early kde4, was that one of the European
> governments had sponsored the work with a grant (they said which
> government but I'm USian so forgot that detail, IIRC it was primarily
> city or region, tho, not national, tho national might have been match-
> funding).

It (Nepomuk) was an EU research project. The KDE part is actually just one of
several research deliveries, called Nepomuk-desktop IIRC:
One of the participating companies, Mandriva, was responsible for that part of
the work and hired Sebastian Trüg to do it.
He's now working for the company producing Virtuoso but doesn't have much time
for work on Nepomuk-KDE.
Fortunately, Vishesh Handa, one of KDE's Google Summer of Code students who
worked on Nepomuk-KDE as part of GSOC, took over maintainership a while ago
and is now (very recently) employed by Blue Systems to work on Nepomuk-KDE
pretty much full time.

Some of the non-code research deliverables, e.g. semantic ontologies, are
being used by other projects as well, e.g. tracker.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring