Remote file editing, dolphin and local caching

Hi,

I'm converting to KDE from Gnome (classic) and struggling with the handling of remote filesystems. Having googled the problem at length, I have two questions:

1. If I try to use my preferred text editor, gedit, with a file on a network drive it caches the remote file and operates on the cached version. The only opportunity to upload it comes when the editor is closed. Is there a way to make the editor operate on the remote file directly? It looks like the only editor that does, and this in a laborious way, is Kate.

2. I feel I must be missing something, because I can't see how this could ever be useful behaviour. What am I missing?

I'd appreciate being cc'd in because I don't subscribe to this list.

TIA

Peter