Re: KDE Desktop effects

On 09/17/2012 03:16 AM, Duncan wrote:
But writing all the above made me think of another troubleshooting
suggestion.  =:^)

On the middle tab, try disabling ALL INDIVIDUAL effects (even the ones
you don't want to do without, permanently, and that you believe should
work).  Hit apply.

Now on the advanced tab see if with all/individual/  effects disabled,
you can successfully switch to opengl.

Hopefully that works.  If so, you can try enabling individual effects one
at a time and see what's killing it.  But, be prepared to crash and to
edit/rename/delete kwinrc to get back into kde, if necessary, because the
one you just tried isn't working, and with kwin's all-or-nothing approach
back then, there IS a fair chance that when you enable that one, you'll
trigger a crash and won't be able to get back into kde until that bit of
the config is removed.
Did not work, but maybe there there is a clue here because this middle tab is... completely empty! There is a one-line text box into which you can type a search term and a much bigger box which presumably should contain a long list of effects which I should be able to play with. This is weird because the system clearly does know about available effects because on the first tab I have set (for example) : Effect for window switching to "Box Switch" from a pick-list.