Re: The proper way to copy all datas and settings from one computer to another?

On Tuesday, April 10, 2012 08:11:20 Maxime Haselbauer wrote:

> Hi all,

> What is the right way to copy all datas and settings from one computer to

> another? i.e

> I have two computer one called netbook and another one called inspiron both

> 32 bit Kubuntu 11.10 Kde 4.8.x

> I wanted to transfer everything from netbook to inspiron, also I used an

> external Hardrive where I store everything from ~/ of netbook (inclusvie

> hidden files) and then I copy it from the hard drive to inspiron back

I assume you want something like

rsync -av username@netbook:/home/username username@inspiron:/home/username

That will sync all between the two machines. Alternatively you could connect the external drive to your netbook and mount it under mount. Then assuming you have a folder on the external drive for transfering your user stuff you could do this:

From the netbook:

rsync -av /home/username/ /mnt/userbackup/

Then connect the external drive to the inspiron and run:

rsync -av /mnt/userbackup/ /home/username/

Hope that helps!

--

Regards,

Nathan England

NME Computer Services http://www.nmecs.com

Nathan England (nathan@xxxxxxxxx)

Systems Administration / Web Application Development

Information Security and Consulting

(480) 559.9681