Re: exporting from kmail (Was: Kmail2/Akonadi issue on FreeBSD.)

gene heskett posted on Sat, 03 Dec 2011 14:20:38 -0500 as excerpted:

>> So either that root claws-mail instance was still running, or it had
>> crashed without getting a chance to clean up the socket-file it left
>> behind.
>
> That may be a possibility, its a month old now and short term memory is
> one of the casualties at my age.

FWIW, that doesn't happen here, at least not in $TMPDIR on my
workstation.  I have $TMPDIR set to a tmpfs, so it's all clean at every
boot.  And I like testing git kernels and the like, so a 10-day uptime
tends to be about the limit.  Thus, NOTHING in $TMPDIR is ever a month
old.

My netbook is a bit of a different beast.  I still have a tmpfs mounted
$TMPDIR, but I don't update it as regularly and it spends most of the
time suspended to disk, so it may get six months or more in "uptime",
while only /actually/ being "up" a few dozen hours.

And the router, running OpenWRT... I pretty much treat as the embedded
system it is.  It's on the UPS for the VoIP phone system, and basically
none of it goes down unless the ISP does maintenance on the cable link or
something and I get a new IP.  Then, because the ATA's behind the router
(behind the cable modem, also running Linux BTW, with a Motorola site
link to sources to comply with the GPL, tho as all DOCSIS modems it's
entirely cableco-side managed) and the NAPT keeps trying to route the VoIP
using the old connections, I have to reboot at least the ATA and
sometimes both the router and the ATA, to get a new, active VoIP
registration.

I've thought that when I upgrade routers again, I'll try using an old
computer with a few Ethernet cards stuck in it, booting from either USB
thumbdrive or from a CD, no hard drive at all, unless I decide to run a
server or something, which I might decide to do, as the ISP's killing its
user webspace in a few days.  But even then I could run it off a DVD and
reburn for updates.  (IIRC we had a thread with a bit of discussion on
that a few months ago.)