Re: Konsole fonts: just a jump o the left

Dotan Cohen posted on Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:00:54 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 15:08, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Also, try temporarily disabling font anti-aliasing and hinting, and see
>> if that helps.  If it does, you could turn it back on and try playing
>> with the detailed config.  And while you're there, you might as well
>> try toggling DPI forcing too, between disabled, 96, and 120, tho I
>> don't expect dpi to make a difference other than in the size they show
>> up, but then, this is a strange bug, so...

> Disabling the "Smooth fonts" and "Draw intense colours in bold font"
> options did not help. I made all changes in the Profile Configuration
> menu of Konsole.

I see I asked you to do something but expected you to read my mind as to
where! =:^\

Try kde settings, fonts (under common appearance and ..., app appearance).

Towards the bottom of that you should see the anti-aliasing and DPI
controls I was talking about, and my instructions should make more sense
than when you're looking at konsole's profile settings! =:^)

Yes, that'll affect fonts system-wide, but you can do it only
temporarily, for testing.

The reason I mention this is that I had to adjust it here, a year or so
ago, as the interaction between accelerated video and font aliasing
changed after an update, and pieces of letters ended up missing!  It
could be you are seeing a variant on the same thing, and changing
aliasing/hinting might help as it did for me.

The kind of font (true-type, bitmapped, etc) would affect it too, as the
way these operations work on the various font types differs.

FWIW, I have anti-aliasing enabled, medium hinting, no sub-pixel, now,
but AFAIK I had to turn off at least hinting entirely, and possibly
aliasing, for a graphics driver version or two.  It was driving me crazy
until I figured out that turning off hinting fixed it.